Make it powerful and make it able to fly far. These simple requirements sparked North American Aviation to create a phenomenal weapon called the P-51D. Beyond its muscle, gas storage and gun slinging capabilities, pilots loved to fly it. Better known as 'Mustang', it became America's favourite fighter aeroplane, possibly of all-time. The Hangar 9® P-51D Mustang 20cc ARF brings valiant tales of this warbird to life in a convenient 1/6-scale model with unrivaled authenticity.
The Hangar 9® P-51D Mustang 20cc ARF is an expertly crafted model that combines modern engineering, outstanding flight capability, plus no compromise power-it-the-way-you-want-it expertise to deliver a replica warbird with stunning looks. Modeled after Mustangs used by the 375th Fighter Squadron during WWII, it's constructed in 1/6-scale with lightweight balsa and plywood for legendary durability.
Leading the list of stunning details is the expertly applied, satin-finish covering of the sleek airframe. The lightweight material captures within scale features like panel lines, rivets, nomenclature and distinct colours for a brilliant appearance that's durable. Bringing out its authenticity even further is a well-appointed cockpit with a 3D instrument panel, an intricately painted pilot figure and faceted utility compartment. Cowling detail features a matching finish with scale inlets and exhaust, plus a matching spinner. Optional-use wing tanks can be attached on the included wing pylons, or removed to improve high-speed manoeuvreability. Functional shock-absorbing gear struts include trailing-link suspension and scale-style axles with room for large wheels that make flying from grass easier.
No matter how you look at it, this Mustang is an impressive model for its size. Its two-piece wings smoothly connect with the scale wing fillet and distinct air scoop to lock-in without any need for tools. Control surfaces feature aerofoil-shape design for smoother flight, and scale hinge lines with factory drilled hinges for easy installation. You can take the scale experience higher by replacing the rugged fixed landing gear with E-flite® electric retracts available for both the main and tail wheel locations. Functional flaps allow for a wider flight envelope that includes shorter takeoffs and slower landing speeds.
A large top-hatch provides extensive interior access from the cockpit to the firewall. The included hardware package is complete to make assembly as simple as possible and provide easy-to-install mounting options for all the electric and engine power recommendations. No matter what power plant you install, handling in the air is impressive with a look and control feel that honours the original. Whether this is your first warbird, or the perfect complement to your collection, the Hangar 9 P-51D Mustang 20cc ARF is the historic success story you've been looking for.
- Expertly constructed with lightweight, laser-cut balsa and plywood
- Finely detailed, satin-finish covering includes scale nomenclature, panel lines, and more
- Two decal sets let you customize the trim in 'Geraldine' or 'Sky Bouncer' livery
- Detailed cockpit includes a 3D instrument panel, expertly painted pilot bust and more
- Rugged fixed landing gear with 4-inch wheels and realistic shock-absorbing struts (included)
- Retract ready-optional E-flite® electric retracts available
- Functional flaps expand the flight envelope and enhance scale functionality
- Scale control surface hinge lines, gear doors, wing guns and antenna
- Painted cowl with simulated engine and exhaust detail
- Scale spinner with matching paint finish
- Optional-use wing pylons with removable drop tanks
- Two-piece, plug-in wing for easy transport and final assembly
- Large top-hatch offers complete access to the electronics and fuel tank
- Complete hardware package includes everything for EP or gas power recommendations
Laser-cut, lightweight balsa and plywood construction is utilized to bring the P-51D Mustang 20cc to life as a durable scale model that's expertly built to exacting standards.
Beyond the factory applied satin-finish printed covering, other iconic details include aerofoil-shaped tail surfaces, realistic engine exhaust, wing guns, gear doors, optional-use drop tanks, radio antenna, a 3D instrument panel and a painted pilot figure-just to name a few.
Light wing-load and a semi-symmetrical aerofoil offer flight performance that's comfortable at a wide range of speeds. Operational flaps allow its versatile flight envelope to open even wider so you can increase flight realism that includes shorter takeoffs and slower landings.
The wing panels feature a strong aluminium tube joiner for ease of transport and storage. When the model is upright, full access inside the model is through a large top-hatch that makes any maintenance and battery changes simple.
Choose from one of the two nose-art decals included to finish your model off. 'Sky Bouncer' was flown by Captain Bruce ('Red') Rowlett, and 'Geraldine' was flown by Captain Charles Roscoe ('Chuck') Cummins, both with the 361st Fighter Group, 375th Fighter Squadron stationed in England during WWII.
Rugged fixed landing gear with functional shock-absorbing struts are included so that you can keep the project simple and still enjoy the benefit of smooth ground handling. The optional E-flite® electric retract system recommended accepts the struts, feature all-metal durability and are an easy installation that lets you take in-flight scale realism to a higher level.
Power It the Way You Want It
The P-51D Mustang 20cc is designed to accept the Evolution® 20GX, 20cc gas engine, a Saito FG-21, 21cc four-stroke or E-flite Power 60 brushless electric outrunner motor system with a 6S LiPo battery. All hardware needed to install any of the recommended power system is included along with an electric motor mount so you can get to assembly right away and in the air faster. This 20cc ARF is also the perfect replacement airframe for the stock motor, ESC, and recommended flight battery used in the giant E-flite® Carbon-Z® T-28.
Needed to Complete
- 20cc two- or four-stroke gas engine or equivalent electric motor system
- Full-range, 5+ channel transmitter and receiver (6+ for the retract option)
- (8) Standard-size servos (7 for the electric power option)
- (2) Batteries for receiver and engine ignition (for the gas power option)
- (1) Propeller
What's in the box?
- (1) Hangar 9 P-51D Mustang 20cc ARF
- (1) User Manual